Have you ever considered using artificial intelligence (AI) to find a job or enhance your performance in your current role? If so, you’re not alone. A revealing survey by Page Personnel, with insights from 3,344 professionals across Continental Europe (860 professionals in Northern Europe), paints a clear picture: AI tools are increasingly becoming a part of our daily work lives.
But here's the twist – while AI is definitely making its mark, it hasn't overshadowed the crucial role of human insight. In the workplace, human judgement is key for understanding complex problems, fostering creativity and building relationships that AI can't replicate. Similarly, in job searching, partnering with a human recruiter can provide a level of personal interaction and understanding of company culture that AI tools can’t offer – something that talent like you surely appreciate.
Let’s explore how AI is reshaping work and why the human touch remains indispensable even in our digital era.
Tech meets talent: AI in the workplace
AI isn’t the future anymore. It’s already changing the way we work. Almost half the professionals in Northern Europe (49%) now use AI to find a job, boost their productivity or automate routine tasks.
So, what kind of AI tools are professionals like you using?
- Interactive AI, including chatbots and smart assistants like Siri, Cortana and Google Assistant, is widely adopted, with 40% of professionals using this technology frequently.
- Functional AI, which includes tools for data analysis, cloud security and breach prevention, may also be on your radar. While only 23% use these tools frequently, 35% have employed them at least sometimes in their work environment. Popular examples of functional AI tools include IBM Watson, Salesforce Einstein and Azure Machine Learning.
- Analytic AI tools like Tableau, which provide recommendations and insights through data scanning, are used at least occasionally by 31% of professionals.
- Generative AI excels at creating written and visual content. Like 31% of professionals in our survey, there’s a good chance you’ve already experimented with tools like ChatGPT and Bard. This points to a growing acceptance of AI’s creative capabilities in the workplace.
Risks, benefits and challenges of AI in the workplace
When we talk about AI in the workplace, it’s essential to consider not just its usage but also how it’s perceived by those it impacts – employees and candidates like you.
Impressively, 77% of those we surveyed believe AI has boosted their efficiency and productivity, while two-thirds (76%) trust AI to automate repetitive tasks. For example, AI tools like smart email filters and prioritisation assistants can significantly reduce the hours spent managing inboxes, giving you more time to focus on the bigger picture.
Of course, introducing AI into our workdays isn’t all smooth sailing. A significant 67% of professionals are wary about AI missing the human touch in judgement and intuition. It’s a reminder that as good as AI is with data, it can’t yet match our complex decision-making and emotional intelligence. Issues surrounding privacy and data security (mentioned by 56% of respondents), ethics (45%) and potential job displacement (41%) are other prominent concerns.
Despite these worries, most professionals we polled see AI as a game-changer. Only a tiny fraction (2%) believe the technology is overhyped and will not significantly impact their industry.
Using AI to find a job: a mixed picture
How is AI reshaping the job search process?
AI adoption in job searching
Nearly half (49%) of professionals are leveraging AI tools like resume writers and job-matching algorithms for their job search.
- Saving time: 71% of job seekers report significant time savings when using AI tools.
- Opening the right doors: 66% believe AI helps in finding more relevant job positions.
- Generational trends: A notable 60% of 18 to 24-year-olds have used these tools, compared to less than 42% of those over 60, indicating a generational shift towards AI in job hunting.
Hesitations in embracing AI
Just over half of the people we surveyed have not used AI for job searching.
- Lack of awareness: Around a third of respondents were either unaware of what AI tools were available or unsure how to use them.
- Seeking the personal touch: Given that 67% (vs. 61% at the European level) think AI tools in the workplace lack a personal touch, it’s fair to assume a similar sentiment extends to AI in job searching.
The human edge in recruitment
- Tailored career guidance: Real-life recruiters offer talent like you personalised career advice and a deeper understanding of your unique qualities.
- Exclusive opportunities: Staffing agencies provide access to unadvertised jobs and insider information on company culture and specific hiring needs, areas where AI falls short.
Job search in the age of AI: 4 tips for job seekers
Navigating the job market today means blending AI tools with your unique human skills. Here are four practical tips to help you stand out:
- Leverage AI for efficiency: Use AI-powered tools like resume builders and job-matching algorithms to cut down on tedious or repetitive tasks. For example, an AI resume writer can help tailor your CV for specific roles, increasing your chances of getting noticed.
- Boost your creative spark: Remember, AI's great with numbers, but it can't beat your creative flair. Get involved in activities that get your creative juices flowing – like fun brainstorming sessions or interactive workshops. This way, you'll shine in roles that need a touch of out-of-the-box thinking.
- Sharpen your people skills: AI lacks the nuances of human emotions, so focus on enhancing your emotional intelligence, empathy and communication. These qualities can really make a difference in interviews and when you're networking, helping you connect with people on a deeper level.
- Stay informed and adaptable: Keep up to date with AI advancements in your field and be adaptable to new technologies. Understanding the latest AI tools for job search and how they apply to your industry can give you a competitive edge.
Page Personnel: The best of AI and human insight
AI is revolutionising the world of work, but the value of human insight and creativity remains unmatched.
Finding this balance is at the heart of what we do at Page Personnel. We harness the power of AI while our team of specialised consultants bring the human touch, ensuring your CV is given the thorough attention it deserves.
Find a Job Now!